It is important to understand the keyboard options you have when outfitting your workstation. Different types of keyboards offer various benefits. Below are some options when selecting a keyboard for your workstation.
- Designed to straighten wrists and arms to be in a more neutral position
- Low force needed to press keys
- Compact size
- Compatible with all major computer operating systems
- Can spread keyboard to a shoulder-width apart
- Easy to position
- Can place mouse in the middle of the keyboard (allows for less reaching)
- No number pad which creates a shorter reach when the mouse is placed on the right side. If a number pad is necessary it is a separate attachment that can be positioned independently of the keyboard.
- Can be used with standard mouse or roller mouse.
- Decreases unnatural wrist positioning (ulnar deviation)
- Wireless, compact
- Easily transported
- Adjustable slope of keyboard—neutral, positive, or negative
- Padded wrist wrest
- Raised middle to promote neutral wrist position
- Not compatible with a roller mouse.
Adjustable Keyboard Tray
- Height adjustable
- Can change tilt on tray (0 to -15 degrees)
- Swivel feature (keyboard tray and mouse board)
- Takes keyboard and mouse off of desk top creating greater desk top working space.
- Allows for better flexibility in adjustments and allows for multiple users
Things to consider with an adjustable keyboard tray
- Ease of use
- Able to maintain its position
- Easily rotatable mouse board to allow for right of left handed mouse use.
- Dial indicating keyboard tray angle
- The keyboard should be at or slightly below elbow height, and parallel with your forearms.
- If your keyboard has feet on the back that prop it up, make sure to close those feet in order to keep in flat and maintain the wrists in a neutral position.
- Position equipment and work tasks so that your body is directly in front of and close to your major work tasks (think letter “B” at your belly-button!)
- Utilize a gel wrist rest to provide rest breaks when typing
I couldn\’t agree more with you Patrick! Thanks for sharing this brilliant article!
You are welcome Lisa, really appreciate it.
this is a test 🙂
Hey, this is a reply!
Glad I can see smart people writing on this website. Keep up the great work lads!
This was really useful, thanks for sharing.
Yes, yes, yes! Coolness level 100 here…
Here in Meks we really want to create some great things. But we also like long comments to test if everything is fine so everyone else can see it. Well, yes, seems that comments section is working really great!
I LOVE THIS THEME!!! GREAT JOB GUYS!!!
But we also like long comments to test if everything is fine so everyone else can see it.
What a great theme. Good job.